The foundation of a beautiful makeup routine should start with a makeup primer. Makeup primer is the base of all great beauty looks, even before you apply your actual foundation. Makeup primer effectively works to prepare your skin for the makeup that you are about to apply, allowing you to cultivate a finish that is dewy, matte, luminous, or evenly textured. If you have never used a makeup primer before, you have come to the right place to learn more.
Traditionally, makeup primer will take one of many different forms. Listed below, you’ll find a small sampling of the styles of makeup primer commonly available.
- Illuminating Primer – Commonly worn alone but also used in conjunction with foundation, an illuminating primer can provide you with that boosting glow to lend a sparkle to your smile.
- Color Correcting Primer – CC Primer is ideal when attempting to level out skin tone or diminish the appearance of hyperpigmentation. A must-have for the flexible makeup artist.
- Matte Primer – A matte finish provides a controlled and shine-free appearance that smooths your skin while evening out oily spots.
- Hydrating Primer – If you have naturally dry skin, a hydrating primer can boost your appearance for a dewy look that is naturally appealing.
Let’s take a closer look at makeup primer, what it is, and how to use it properly within your beauty routine.
Common Reasons to Wear Makeup Primer
Makeup primer can and should be your best friend, at least if you want to create a makeup routine that is at once effective and aesthetically pleasing! A skincare primer offers a variety of immediate benefits when applied before your foundation. Here are a few direct and targeted benefits that regular use of makeup primers can lead to.
- Creates a Solid Foundation For Your Makeup – First and foremost, your handy makeup primer will be tasked with creating a base for the rest of your makeup to adhere to. This means that you should apply your primer at the beginning of your routine. We suggest using something with additional SPF to create a barrier that is beautiful and protective, like our Holy Veil primer.
Advantages: Longer-lasting makeup that wears well and degrades slowly.
- Enjoy Smoother, Silkier Textures – If your goal is to address your complexion while smoothing uneven skin tone, a primer with collagen stimulating peptides can get the job done. This style of makeup primer can help when filling out depressions in your skin including large pores, acne scarring, wrinkles, and other fine lines.
Advantages: Smoother skin tone at your fingertips.
- Enhance Eye Makeup Quality – Did you know that makeup primer can be used on your eyelids, as well? The right eyelid primer can help to keep your eyeshadow from creasing and wearing down throughout the day. You can wear eyelid smoothing primer beneath your best eye makeup to prolong the experience.
Advantages: Enhance other aspects of your makeup routine through a makeup primer,
making your entire look last longer as a result.
As you can see, makeup primer can contribute to a variety of beneficial aspects when it comes to applying your makeup. Whether you want a longer-lasting finish or a makeup routine that lets you look your best, keep the right primer nearby to get the job done right!